Maker’s Mark® Ice Cream
topped with Poached Peaches and Hazlenut Crunch
by Chef Johnny Iuzzini
I scream, you scream, we’ll all scream for Maker’s Mark® ice cream!
1/4 cup Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
2 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean split lengthwise and scraped
4 large yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
- Combine the milk, salt, scraped vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover with plastic wrap and infuse 10 minutes.
- While the milk is being infused, whisk together the yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until the mixture turns pale. Set up an ice bath with a slightly smaller stainless steel bowl set into a larger bowl filled with ice water and keep close at hand.
- Strain the milk into a medium saucepan and bring back to a simmer. Gradually pour half of the hot liquid over the yolks, whisking to combine. Return the entire mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula. When the mixture thickens slightly, lightly coat the back of the spatula, and when the slight foam on top is the same color as the liquid underneath strain into the prepared small bowl. Cool completely and then stir in the bourbon. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. (The ice cream may be prepared up to this point a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator overnight.)
- Freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions and reserve, covered in plastic wrap, in the freezer for 1-2 hours before serving.
3 tablespoons Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
8 leaves fresh verbena
20 ounces simple syrup (2 cups sugar and 2 cups) water
2 peaches (not too ripe)
- Bring simple syrup, Maker’s Mark® Bourbon and verbena to a simmer. Meanwhile cut the peaches in half and remove the pits. Poach slowly until the fruit is tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2 cups hazelnuts, cracked slightly
4 teaspoons honey
Heavy pinch of salt
1 egg white, beaten
- Combine all ingredients and rub together, bake until golden brown at 350°F. Crack into pieces.