By Derek Alexander, Principal Bartender, Longman and Eagle
I fell in love with this hot toddy on a cold night in Chicago when I first had it at Longman and Eagle where Derek served it to me. Yuzu is a fragrant Japanese citrus fruit that is a cross between an orange and lemon. You can find frozen rinds and yuzu juice usually through an online gourmet Web site.
- 1 part Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
- 2 heaping bar spoons of yuzu honey*
- 3/4 part Laird’s® Applejack Brandy
- 1/2 part yuzu juice
- 5 parts hot water
- 1/4 cup yuzu rind**
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pectin
- 2 tablespoons yuzu juice
- *For yuzu honey, add water to yuzu rind and bring to a simmer. Mix the sugar and pectin together.
- Stir into the water and yuzu, pouring in a thin, steady stream while stirring. Bring to a boil.
- Add the honey and stir until the mixture is thick. Add the yuzu juice.
- Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Keep refrigerated when not in use.
- Combine all ingredients and serve hot.
- **You may substitute a bottle of citrus tea from an Asian market for the honey if you can’t source yuzu.