Maker's Mark® Brined Pork Sandwiches with Smoked Gouda and Maker's Mark® Jus
by Bradford Thompson, Bellyfull Consulting and Miss Lily's Restaurant
This sandwich is a cross between an awesome pastrami melt and a French dip. The allspice, garlic, thyme and pepper give a Caribbean jerk flavor that hits the right note with the spice in Maker's Mark®.
Prep Time: 2 days
Cook Time: 4 hours
Brined Pork Butt
Makes enough for 8 sandwiches
2 cups Maker's Mark® Bourbon
4 pounds pork butt, boneless
2 gallons water
1-1/2 cups salt
15 whole allspice berries, crushed
2 cups dark brown sugar
- Combine the salt with half the water and boil to dissolve salt and allow to cool down.
- Combine all remaining ingredients with cooled salt water and submerge pork butt overnight, no longer than 12 hours.
Roasted Pork Butt
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons butcher ground black pepper, coarse grind
12 whole allspice berries
10 cloves garlic
4 sprigs thyme
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well-combined and the spices are broken down.
- Remove the pork butt from the brine and pat dry. Rub the garlic mixture all over the butt and place the butt in a medium roasting pan with 1" water on the bottom. Cover the pork butt and roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil. Roast until tender, about 3 hours. Check occasionally to make sure the water doesn't dry out.
- Remove from the oven and let the meat rest in the juice for 30 minutes.
- Take the pork butt and wrap it in plastic wrap a few times to lock in the juice and chill overnight in the refrigerator. Reserve the roasting juice.
Maker's Mark® Jus
1 cup Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon allspice berries
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup reserved roasting juice
- To make the sauce, crush the spices and toast in a dry pan, then add the sugar and allow it to caramelize.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add Maker's Mark® Bourbon, then allow it to flame and burn off. Reduce the liquid by half and add 1 cup of the roasting juice and then strain the sauce. Keep warm or refrigerate until needed.
1/2 recipe (4 sandwiches)
4 thick slices whole grain bread
16 ounces cooked brined pork, thinly sliced
3/4 cup Maker's Mark® jus
1 piece green apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup caramelized onions
1/2 cup cooked mustard greens
8 slices smoked gouda
- To assemble the sandwich, lightly oil and toast the bread slices.
- Warm the pork slices in any leftover roasting juice and place 4 ounces of meat on each piece of toast.
- Top each one with equal amount of apples, onions and greens, then top with an ounce of the finished sauce and cheese. Place under a broiler for a minute to melt the cheese. Serve the open-faced sandwiches hot.