By Chef Cesare Casella
The smoky characteristics of the Maker’s 46® pair perfectly with the bacon and cream in Chef Casella’s signature pasta dish.
- 10 tablespoons Maker’s 46® Bourbon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 3 whole garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 7 slices bacon, julienned into 1/4" pieces
- 1 can whole canned tomatoes, hand-crushed, 28 ounces
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2-1/2 cups parmigiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup chives, finely chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fusilli pasta, cooked al dente
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Combine the onion, celery, carrot, garlic and half of the herbs in the saucepan.
- Cook until the vegetables are softened and begin to caramelize, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Add the pinch of red pepper flakes a few minutes into cooking to prevent them from burning.
- Once the vegetables have begun to caramelize, add the bacon and cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add 8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) of Maker’s 46® and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and continue cooking until vegetables are soft and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and bring to a simmer.
- Add water, season with salt and pepper and the rest of the herbs, and simmer very slowly for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree in a food mill (or a blender or food processor), return to a large sauté pan and continue cooking 20 to 30 minutes until the sauce is no longer watery.
- Taste again for salt and pepper and season as needed.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the fusilli pasta al dente, according to package directions.
- After the sauce has thickened and reduced, add the cream and cook for 10 minutes more, then add 1/3 of the cheese; stir well.
- Mix in the cooked pasta and stir to coat completely.
- Add remaining cheese and 2 tablespoons of Maker’s 46® Bourbon and continue cooking for another 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in the chives and dust with a bit more cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Tags: Recipes, Entrees, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Red Onions, Celery, Carrots, Garlic, Basil, Parsley, Bacon, Canned Tomatoes, Water, Heavy Cream, Parmigiano Cheese, Chives, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt, Pepper, Fusilli Pasta, Hungry