Shrimp Cocktail with Maker's Mark® Cocktail Sauce
by Franklin Becker, Chef, Abe & Arthur's
This classic appetizer gets a kick in the pants with a healthy shot of Maker's Mark® to help spice up the cocktail sauce.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4 – 8
1 recipe Maker's Mark® cocktail sauce (recipe below)
24 pc. shrimp in shell, u-10
12 cups water
1-1/2 cups dry white wine, such as Riesling
2 lemons juiced
2 bay leaves
10 pieces whole black peppercorn
1 medium onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin 1/4"
1 stalk celery, sliced thin crosswise 1/8"
1 whole leek, washed and sliced thin, white and green
3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced into 1/8" thick rounds
1/4 cup kosher salt
Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Leaving the shell and tail intact, slice down the back of the shrimp, deveining the shrimp.
- Bring the water, white wine, lemon juice, bay leaves, peppercorns, onion, celery, leek, carrots and kosher salt to a boil in a large pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the brine is flavorful. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a new pot, discarding the solids.
- Bring the stock back up to a simmer. Add the shrimp in shell and stir to submerge the shrimp. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the shrimp to poach for 10 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Drain the shrimp and place the shrimp into a large bowl filled with ice. Stir the shrimp with the ice cubes and place the bowl in the freezer until the shrimp have cooled down, about 2-3 minutes.
- Peel the shell from the shrimp, leaving the tail intact. Discard the shells. Serve the shrimp ice cold alongside the Maker's Mark® cocktail sauce, with fresh lemon wedges.
Maker's Mark® Cocktail Sauce
Makes 1-1/2 cups
2 tablespoons Maker's Mark® Bourbon, flamed off
1 cup Heinz® Ketchup
1 tablespoon TABASCO® Sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly grated horseradish
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl. Keep chilled until needed.
Tags: Bourbon Maker's Mark Lemon Salt Appetizers Shrimp White Wine Bay Leaves Peppercorn Onion Celery Ketchup Hot Sauce Worcestershire Sauce Horseradish White Vinegar Carrots Leeks Franklin Becker Hungry