This classic Southern appetizer works great when paired with a Maker's® cocktail or taken along to a potluck party. These cheesy bite-sized beauties are served with a Bourbon Mustard Dipping Sauce that brings a nice blend of mustardy heat, sweet honey and caramel notes from the Maker's Mark®. The recipe has a low degree of difficulty. Once your prep work is done, the sausage balls take just a few minutes to cook in the oven.
What to get
- 2 lbs. good country sausage
- 2 sleeves saltine-style crackers, crushed
- 1-1/2 cup fresh shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Bourbon Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 oz. (2 shots) Maker's Mark® Bourbon
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. honey
What to do
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine crackers, egg and buttermilk and mix well.
- Add sausage and cheese. Mix again, being careful not to overmix.
- Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool.
- Form the mixture into balls and place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes and check progress. Bake for remaining 6 minutes or until cooked through. You want some browning and crunchy exterior.
For the Bourbon Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, honey and bourbon in a large bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and save for up to 1 week.